February 25, 2010

Art that moves me

Lately, I'd given up on trying to find art that inspires me. Any place JD and I have ever lived, we've never had anything up on the walls in regards to art other than the usual wall decor (sconces, candle holders, mirrors..etc..). Mostly, this is due to the fact that i don't want some cookie cutter picture hanging on my wall that everyone would have because it's popular. I want something that really inspires me, moves me, or is just so mesmerizing that you can't take your eyes off of it.

I pretty much came to the conclusion that i'd just end up having to use my own personal photos and try to creatively display them. At least if they are MY personal photos, then it will mean something to me and i'll still achieve that feeling i'm looking for when I look at them.

So i'm sitting here in JD's hospital room...bored, and thought i would update my blog. I haven't really changed much in it's appearance lately because i just haven't had time to fool with it. So I started looking for images that i could use to photoshop into something create to use as a background in my blog title. I started looking at Dance inspired photos because i really enjoy dancing and thought i might find something interesting to use.

I then came across an image of a water color that was created by artist Gerardo Segismundo. No clue who we is, but really was captivated by the image i saw. Believe it or not, i found the photo on Flickr. So i started digging further. His whole collection is done in bold, beautiful watercolors that represent movement whether it be dance or sports oriented (a few surfing or cycling paintings).
Now i'm open to appreciation of all types of art because i think the creative mind is intriguing in itself. The possibilities of creation are endless, but i tend to be a little biased and lean towards black & white photography or charcoal drawings. Even when i first considered getting a tattoo, i was drawn to a grey scale image, that with shading ,would appear to be old or fossilized...is that even a word?? LOL

After seeing his work, i just really thought he deserves kudos and maybe raising awareness about his paintings would inspire others to appreciate something so brilliant. I tend to lean towards the creative side of the brain, so music & art mean the world to me. In the past 10 years i've supressed that side so much that it's nice to find something that lights the fire beneath or within me again. If you are interested in seeing more of his work, you can look up segismundoart on the FLICKR website or browse through Redbubble.com (there's limited paintings at this site, but you can actually buy prints).

I hope you enjoy his stuff as much as i did!





No comments: